Tech Lives in Austin
A fast-growing high-tech city with a vibrant art and music scene as well as an affordable cost of living. Tech companies large and small thrive here, as the city attracts talent from across the country to fill the offices of diverse firms. Local venture capital, incubators, and accelerators attract entrepreneurs and innovators.
506 Companies relocated to the Austin region since 2004, resulting in 51,214 jobs
2nd Best City for Young Professionals7
High stem concentration 11% of all jobs are in stem10
44.8% over age 25 have bachelors degree10
“The growing tech hub of silicon hills.”
Austin is one of the top talent markets in the country—with over 322K regional graduates each year and thousands of professionals relocating to the city each year.
177K students10 in 4-yr & 2-yr colleges, providing ample supply of well-educated workers
+468K students within 200 mi.—one of the world’s strongest talent pools
8th nationally & 19th globally for 2020 top startup ecosystem14
5th Highest Concentration of College-Educated Adults
With a world class technology sector and cost of living aligned with national average, growing firms have lots of room to grow.
#4 City tech workers would consider relocation to11
with 11% of all jobs in STEM occupations, austin is the 6th most concentrated large U.S. metro for stem
Austin is the fastest-growing major metro area in the country13
2nd Best City for Young Professionals
:Quality of Life
Best Place to Live in the U.S.
—U.S. News & World’s Report
Centrally located with a well connected international airport, Austin is positioned for growth.
See full list at flightsfrom.com/AUS
Travel time from airport to downtown is apx 15 min.
—Travel and Leisure
- 57K regional manufacturing employment in in 2017, up 19% from 2010
- Over 320 high-tech manufacturing firms employ 31K, up 14% since 2010
- High-tech manufacturing represents 55% of the region’s manufacturing employment
- UT has top-10 ranked aerospace/aeronautical engineering programs
- Austin’s affiliated research centers and advanced computing capabilities create a vibrant industrial base
- Over 12K employees within aerospace, aviation, and supporting sectors, nearly 121K in tech ecosystem
Life Sciences & Tech Integration
- Over 240 life sciences companies in the region
- A workforce of nearly 15K focused on the highest growth segments and research areas in the industry
- Specialties include biologics, medical devices, diagnostics, pharmaceutical, contract research
Creative and Digital Media
- South by Southwest, Austin City Limits, etc.
- Game, software, mobile application development, music and film tech, education tech, advertising, social media, and digital content
- Extremely creative, innovative, and well-educated talent pool
CleanTech / Zero Waste
- Over 200 clean technology companies employing 20K
- University of Texas at Austin: world-class energy research institution
- Resources for startups through the University of Texas Clean Energy Incubator
:Growing companies choose Denver
Many of the largest technology companies have chosen Austin to set up shop and expand operations. Recent investment in the region includes:
New Tesla Gigafactory, set on 2.1K acres, to bring $1B in capital investment and 5K jobs
29K ft2 product & engineering hub for Opcity, housing nearly 200 employees
Expansion of its Austin Tech Hub creating 800 new tech jobs
133-acre campus with capacity to grow from initial 5K jobs to 15K
New Austin campus could ultimately support 10K workforce
To invest $14M per year in Digital Service Center on 34 ft2 campus
EA Sports expansion in Austin expected to bring over 300 jobs
Lease for new 315K ft2, 16-story office tower, able to house 2K workers
256.5K ft2 downtown expansion with room for over 1.5K workers
Extensive expansion planned for downtown Austin
3.9% average annual job growth over the last 5 years10
Top exporting state with exports valued at over $264 billion10
Texas is the 10th largest economy in the world10
1 2020 Scoring Tech Talent, cbre.us; 2 C2ER, coli.org; 3 Cushman and Wakefield Austin Office MarketBeat Report Q2 2020; 4 Cushman and Wakefield Austin Industrial MarketBeat Report Q2 2020; 5 Zillow.com; 6 Statisticalatlas.com; 7 SmartAsset, 2019; 8 Austin Inno, americaninno.com; 9 flightsfrom.com/AUS; 10 Austin Chamber, austinchamber.com; 11 Hired, hired.com; 12 U.S. News & World Report, realestate.usnews.com/places/rankings/best-places-to-live; 13 Curbed Austin, austin.curbed.com; 14 Startup Genome, startupgenome.com; 15 FRED Economic Data, fred.stlouisfed.org;