Three rapidly growing tech hubs across the US competed in a one-of-a-kind event where cities pitched talent in a competition hosted by One America Works. These thriving tech economies – Pittsburgh, Columbus and Indianapolis – are all striving to appeal to an audience of tech workers in the current economy. During this event, each city described all the reasons why remote workers should want to move there and call them home.
Columbus is the 14th largest city in the country and is a top location for startups, an emerging hub for insurance and fintech, and boasts over 4,000 miles of public walking and biking trails. Many people are relocating to this Midwestern city to advance their careers and grow in their personal endeavors.
Here’s What Columbus officials and Stakeholders had to say about their city during the pitch competition:
Great Place to Build A Business
- There’s already sixteen Fortune 1000 companies that new startup companies can learn from.
- No one industry makes up over 17% of the economy – the business community is diverse and dynamic. Columbus is home to big companies and large research facilities in numerous sectors including automotive, aerospace and defense, insurance, fashion and apparel, advanced computing, and more.
- There is a huge market for academic and applied research with nearby Ohio State and several nonprofit organizations.
Career Opportunities for Tech Workers
- The presence of several venture capital firms continues to bring investments into new startups and growing companies, guaranteeing an increasing flow of high quality jobs into the region.
- Individuals can look at large unicorn companies like Root Insurance and Upstart valued at over a billion dollars, or smaller startups like CoverMyMeds and AmplifyBio.
- Big tech and other Fortune 1000 companies offer exciting opportunities to individuals who want to work in a more established environment.
Vibrant and Welcoming Community
- There’s something for everyone, so people don’t have to sacrifice their love for arts and culture or sports and outdoor adventure in order to relocate to Columbus.
- Columbus is repeatedly ranked as one of the best cities to live in, partly because the cost of living is 10% lower than the national average.
- “The Columbus Way” is how the city runs, and it values ambition, collaboration, fellowship, inclusivity, and common good.
Stay connected to One America Works
- Subscribe to our bi-weekly newsletter to get the latest news about America’s fastest growing tech hubs
- Check out our podcast for interviews with founders, funders, and community leaders who are inspiring the vision for emerging tech hubs to grow and thrive
- Follow us on social media for news from us, our partners, and more!