Nicknamed the “Crossroads of America”, Indianapolis is well-connected to other Midwest cities and most of the country. Dozens of B2B tech companies have set up shop and entrepreneurs tend to stay for the long-term.
R&D Lives in Indianapolis
Top Companies have thousands of employees in Indianapolis
$1.3B R&D Investment
$358M statewide startup investment in 2019
Indiana ranked #1 for Physical Infrastructure
“The Next Big Startup City”
Indianapolis is positioned among its region’s universities and their steady stream of over 35,000 graduating professionals each year.
30,000 information technology workers are employed in the Indy metro area.12
Indianapolis is home to high ranking Butler, IUPUI, And Marian.
The average age of the Indianapolis population is 33.59 with 30.4% bachelor degree or higher.10
A Top Ten City for Women in Tech
Indianapolis’ long-term fiscal stability and favorable regulatory environment make it a smart choice for investment and growth.
Indianapolis is headquarters to 6 fortune 1000 companies.
Indiana’s R&D at nearly $1.3 Billion, with 36% internal program funding.
30% of indianapolis tech workers are transplants, according to the Indianapolis Tech Census.
#4 Market for Future Tech Growth
:Quality of Life
#1 Physical Infrastructure in the Country
Indianapolis is a smart destination for businesses.
Averages 145 daily departures
to over 50 nonstop destinations.
2 hours or less to N.Y., Chicago, D.C. and Boston.
A Hotbed for B2B Startups
:Growing companies choose Indianapolis
Invested $40M and hiring 800 people by 2021
13,000 sq. ft. office and hiring 332 people by 2021
$47M + 120K ft2
To invest $47M on new 120K sq. ft. facility and hire 300 people by 2022
To invest $10M+ over next several years and hiring 200 employees
3,000 sq. ft. office space and hiring 100 people by 2023
16,000 sq. ft. office space and hiring 100 people by 2021
786,000 sq. ft. campus on 141-acres and hiring 3,000 people by 2023
To invest $493K plus 36 new, high-wage jobs by 2023
To establish aircraft base plus significant investment & 55 jobs
To diversify with $158 million investment and 350 jobs by 2024
65 new jobs
First U.S. operations expanding to Indiana & 65 new jobs by 2024
$700M investment in Princeton operations plus 150 jobs by 2023
5th Best State Regulatory Environment
- State’s automotive industry comprised of 5 major OEM assembly plants, over 500 automotive suppliers, and 128.8K workers
- +93,000 manufacturing jobs since 2009
- $36.6B in manufactured goods exports (2017)
- 2nd largest by GDP in the U.S.
- 2nd in overall U.S. production
- One of the top five states for the number of companies, concentration of companies, and total number of life sciences industry jobs
- 2nd highest national concentration of biopharmaceutical jobs
- One of only two states with specialized employment concentration in four of the five major subsectors
- Warsaw, IN: Orthopedics Capital of the World
Aerospace and Aviation
- The Institute for Advanced Composite Manufacturing
- Purdue University Research Park: home to one of five national IACMI composite research centers
- Notre Dame Turbomachinery Lab: $36M investment in collaboration with GE
- Alcoa Aerospace Alloys: world’s largest aluminum-lithium plan
- GE Aviation Leap Engine Assembly, 25K sq. ft plant
Logistics and Transportation
- Shortest distance to median center of U.S. population
- Highest rail tons of primary metals originated and terminated
- 1st largest producer of truck trailers
- 1st in pass-through highways
- Home to second-largest global Fed-Ex air hub
- Employs 100K workers at 1,500 distribution firms
- Home to precision agriculture companies: Beck’s Hybrids, Corteva, Elanco, Solinftec
- Data & research-driven solutions aimed at closing the global food gap
- Innovations in research and technology
- Transforming the Corn Belt to a new Tech Belt
- Purdue University is the #1 National Biological/ Agricultural Engineering Program
1 2020 Scoring Tech Talent, cbre.us; 2 C2ER, coli.org; 3 Cushman and Wakefield Indianapolis Office MarketBeat Report Q1 2020; 4 Cushman and Wakefield Indianapolis Industrial MarketBeat Report Q1 2020; 5 Zillow.com; 6 Statisticalatlas.com; 7 BioCrossroads, biocrossroads.com; 8 Indianapolis International Airport, ind.com; 9 areaConnect, indianapolis.areaconnect.com; 10 TownCharts, towncharts.com;
11 Indy Partnership, “Indianapolis Region Education” fact sheet; 12 Indy Partnership “Indy is a High Tech Leader” fact sheet; 13 iedc.in.gov/industries; 14 ibj.com; 15 techpoint.org